SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER
FULL-TIME MARLBOROUGH, MA
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Square Robot, Inc. you will be part of a small and talented team working on autonomous mobile robotic solutions for industrial infrastructure inspections. In this role, you will be responsible for designing, integrating, and testing the mechanical components and assemblies of our robotic solutions. The ideal candidate for this position is capable of leading the development of detailed designs from concept to production through a hands-on skill set as well as engineering analysis. If you seek a position to thrive and innovate in a fast-paced environment as a big part of a small, cross-disciplinary engineering team, you are encouraged to apply.
- Designing component, vehicle and system level solutions to meet our customers’ requirements.
- Investigating and exploring the integration of commercial off the shelf (COTS) components into robotic platforms.
- Performing structural analysis on critical mechanical systems.
- Developing design documentation and writing test procedures.
- Generating drawings of parts and assemblies to effectively communicate to manufacturing.
- Participating in design reviews and peer reviews.
- Mentoring our junior engineers
- Engaging with vendors about products, capabilities, and quoting custom parts.
- Inspecting incoming components.
- Assisting with testing activities and field work including travel to customer sites.
- Collaborating within the engineering team to build a cross-disciplinary innovative culture.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Robotics, or a related field.
- 4+ years of experience in Industry
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and revision control of models and drawings for production.
- Experience with the development of robotic platforms
- Experience with the construction of mechanisms and structures for subsea and/or harsh environments.
- Experience with structural FEA analysis.
- Familiarity with techniques and metrics used in production including Design for Manufacturing and Design to Cost.
- Proficiency with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Experience with Product Data Management (PDM) and/or Product Lifecycle Management (PLM).
- Ability to generate detailed graphics to be used in customer reports.
- Proactive, self-directed, and good at estimating own work.
- Excellent visual, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Creative problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Attentiveness to detail and pride in your work within a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Passionate for robotics and innovation.
- Experience with marine robotics such as Remotely Operated Vehicles or Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (ROV/AUV).
- Demonstrated excellence with SolidWorks or equivalent CAD program on large scale assembly projects.
- Comfortable working with hand tools - machine shop experience is a plus.
- Experience with regulatory compliance and certifications with Nationally Recognized Test Labs (NRTLs).
- Experience with thermal analysis and simulations.
- Experience with CFD analysis and simulations.
- Travel up to 25%
- Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
This position is available for full-time work at Square Robot’s office based in Marlborough MA. Travel outside of the office is expected to be not more than 1 week per month for test events, field support, supplier meetings, team meetings, or technical conferences.
You will play a critical support role for the field team, supporting efforts to maintain, repair, test, or operate Square Robot systems. This may include travel to Square Robot’s facility in Houston, TX, and to job sites.
The candidate should be able to read, analyze, and write documents, such as policy and procedure manuals, maintenance instructions, and other related documents. Fluency in English is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the Employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is also regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, and to sit, climb or balance, and stoop, stretch, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.